Sunday, March 4, 2007

Book Run

Actually, it was going to be a fast magazine run but it's impossible to confine oneself to magazines alone at B&N. My one victorious restraint: *not* spending $10 on one of those "knowledge" decks of cards, this one entitled Fabulous Fonts. I was, after all, just curious about which fonts were included but I decided that it wasn't worth a ten-spot to find out. And I can get whatever font fix I need on myfonts.com anyways. For free. So I did pick it up, carried it around a bit, then shamefully left it forlorn on a foreign shelf. Yet another sin I will be paying for forever in the hereafter.

Here's what I was unable to resist:

Games Magazine (April 2007)
Poetry Magazine (March 2007)
The Best American Science Writing 2006
Almost Human: Making Robots Think, by Lee Gutkind
Victorian Lace Today, by Jane Sowerby, photography by Alexis Xenakis

The most expensive of these was the Victorian Lace book, but I justified the expense with the promise of actually making one -- or more -- of the patterns. That is my ambition, at least. We'll see just how much larger my eyes are than time-in-the-universe left to me.

--R

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to love Games magazine. I didn't know it was still being published -- don't see it that often.

rosaleah said...

I know ... it stopped for a while and then re-started "under new management." I didn't like the revamped Games at first but it's re-grown on me. The latest issue has an article about a young fellow who designs & makes wooden puzzle boxes. (and, incidentally, a puzzle-box collector who has just donated his quite extensive collection to his local university library)

Good reading! And pages and pages of "pencil" puzzles.

-R

Anonymous said...

I love Games Magazine, use to get it all the time, now just on impulse when I see it.

Nice blogging there Munkee :D

Your Friend, the other Jungle Lady