Wednesday, June 6, 2007

On The Wagon

The wake-up call was a sudden sharp pain in my lower left leg, every single time I took a step. My instinct was to walk through it, but two days later I was still walking even more slowly (far more slowly) than I usually do. Then on the third day I tried hurrying to hop on a subway train before the door closed ... well, let me tell you, the pain brought on by that little maneuver was excruciating, stopping me dead in my tracks. The train went on without me while I hobbled to a bench to await the next one.

So off I went to the Internet to scope out this thing ... and, bingo, first hit I had the answer: there was either a bloodclot or a constricted vein. Super scarey and of course the first advice was to hie one's sorry self to one's friendly physician for a correct diagnosis and appropriate medication. Just exactly what I avoid like the plague. So I read further:

1) Stop smoking. Immediately. (But this is a vice I have never had. Lucky, wise ole me.)

2) Walk through the pain, and your body, your wonderful otherwise healthy body, will build a workaround for itself so that, with diligence, walking will once again be pain free. (Okay, this I can just keep on doing.)

And the third component? Other than medication? It comes something like this: Hey, dodo, what have you been eating lately? Whatever happened to those good intentions, those lovely salads, fruits, veggies, good whole-grain carbs and so on? Hmmmm?

Well, I'd been sort of back on the diet wagon for a week or so before this all happened, but obviously not to the extent I should have been. Too little too late? Off I went again to the Internet and once again, bingo, first hit I had an answer. Her name is Anne Collins, and let me tell you, I am soooo happy I found her and her site: http://www.annecollins.com

Not to be a shill or anything, but hey. This is the most sensible weight-loss resource I've ever come across ... and the cost is an amazing $20 per year, that's per YEAR, folks, not per month, although even so it took me a couple of days before I parted with that princely sum to gain access to the diet plans and the forum.

Did I say diet plans? Yes, I did. Nine of them, and each one a complete sensible program in and of itself. Honestly, did you ever buy a diet book? What did you pay? How about $20 for nine diet books? And just cuz these are e-books doesn't mean they are skimpy or lacking in any way. And why nine? Different strokes for different folks ... do one, do them all, mix and match, depending on your needs. And they come with access to an online forum, diet tips that aren't just one-line aphorisms that you can already recite in your sleep, and honest, down to earth, personalized one-on-one help if you need it.

I'm blown away. Best dang $20 I ever spent in my life.

And, oh yes, that leg pain? Took two and a half weeks, but I'm walking normally now, the pain has completely disappeared. No doctor's visit, no medications, just continued walking and healthy eating. I'm sold!

2 comments:

Rodneylives said...

Eee, you have me a bit worried with the doctor avoidance thing, but then with health care costing what it does in the U.S. I suppose I can't really blame you. I get the feeling that a bunch of steam is building behind that particular issue though, so maybe we'll finally see some action on it in 2008.

Glad to hear your leg is doing better!

rosaleah said...

John! Thanks for the comment!

Yes, definitely, I'd be less Dr.-shy if cost were not such a looming (prohibitive) issue. But I come by it "honestly," too; medications and the like are, for me, a last resort rather than a first line of attack ... always has been. I don't recommend my approach, particularly, but it *is* my right, and, after all, I'm still here, eh?