Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Munkee is Baaaaack

Duly prodded and scolded by my friend Theresa, who noted that I've been neglecting the Jungle for almost a full year now, I have seen the error of my errant ways, followed the breadcrumbs back to these wilds, and am proceeding today, as faithfully promised, to resettle in here in the Blogosphere.

Beware.

(The above is a warning to myself alone. You need have no fear.)

So, where have I been and what have I been up to since last July?

For one thing, I joined the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, then proceeded to take little advantage of the membership. It's relatively nearby and I was newly into getting out and about and walking everywhere, so I thought I'd be visiting the Garden lots and lots in all sorts of seasons. Didn't happen. However, I have been there recently, for the Cherry Blossom festival, and then to the annual plant sale.

The Gardens is a lovely oasis of peaceful communion with nature, a blissful aside in a raucous urban setting. Except during the occasional jazz concert held there, which I have attended quite happily with Joe. And except for the Cherry Blossom festival, which this year, the first one there I've attended, was overflowing with booths and people and booths and people and tents and, just when I thought I'd accepted all the people and noise for the happy festival it was of course supposed to be, after I'd admired the cherry trees all in full blossom on the Cherry Esplanade, eaten the $4 slice of scrumptious cherry pie (while *fenced in* on the Esplanade as it was strictly forbidden to take one's slice to eat in peace elsewhere), after I'd frowned at the rock music coming from the Japanese Garden, I came upon the Worse Abomination Ever: loud, raucous, totally inappropriate -- they call it music -- by the fountain inside the main gate.

I hurried out, escaping into the innards of the MTA, where any raucousness is at least entirely appropriate to the environs.

And then last week I returned to the Garden for their annual plant sale. Many joyous plant lovers amongst much -- totally appropriate -- activity. I sighed relief. And I bought some flowering plants for my sunny east-facing windowsill: a miniature rose and a lantana. Plans are to get larger containers and soil, transplant them along with the marigold and impatiens I'd bought earlier this spring, and put them out on the terrace. These, for me, are ambitious plans.

Next up at the Gardens: Members' Rose Night, June 4, promises wine and cheese at the Cranford Rose Garden. The date is duly noted on my cell-phone calendar. Let us hope any music provided is appropriate to the setting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Finally - some late night reading for those insomnia nights!

Keep it up -- no more long droughts, ya hear?

Or I'll get out my spray paint cans....